You can apply for Social Security Disability [“SSD”] benefits online by using the Social Security Administration [“SSA”] website (You cannot, however, apply for Supplemental Security Income [“SSI”] benefits online). Set aside 1 to 2 hours for this entire process by using the following instructions
1. Go to https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/dib
2. Read: GETTING READY. This is to make sure you meet the requirements to apply and to gather information you will need.
3. Go to: “Apply & Complete.” Click on “Start a New Application.”
4. Please Note: SSA will ask you to create or sign into your My Social Security Account when you start the application. Follow the prompt to either sign in with your username and password OR create an account.
5. ANSWER EACH QUESTION ON EACH SCREEN. HIT “NEXT” WHEN YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL QUESTIONS ON A GIVEN SCREEN.
6. We may advise you to answer NO to the question of whether you intend to apply for SSI benefits. Please discuss your SSI eligibility with us first.
7. Please add the following to the REMARKS SECTION:
“I am represented by Modica Law Firm, 2430 Ridgeway Avenue, Rochester, New York 14626. Their phone is 585-368-1111. Their fax is 585-368-1100. If you receive Workers’ Compensation, you also should put in Remarks that “my New York Workers’ Compensation Case number is XXXXXXXX.”
8. WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED EACH QUESTION ON EVERY SCREEN: do not continue to STEP 2. Hit “Save and Exit.” You will be given a RE-ENTRY NUMBER.
9. Please send us an e-mail with your user name and password for your My Social Security Account and re-entry number for the online application.
We will notify you before we begin to review the application. When we login to your My Social Security Account, you will be sent a numerical code via text message or e-mail by SSA. We will need that code to access your application. Please notify us with the code right away as it will expire in 10 minutes.
10. Once Part 1 of the application has been submitted, we will work with you to complete Part 2. The focus of this section is on your work history, medical condition and education. You do NOT need to be extremely specific. If you do not know an exact date, you can estimate.
11. ANSWER EACH QUESTION ON EACH SCREEN. HIT “NEXT” WHEN YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL QUESTIONS ON A GIVEN SCREEN.
12. Again, please add the following to the REMARKS SECTION:
“I am represented by Modica Law Firm, 2430 Ridgeway Avenue, Rochester, New York 14626. Their phone is 585-368-1111. Their fax is 585-368-1100.”
13. WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED EACH QUESTION ON EVERY SCREEN, hit “Save and Exit.”
14. Please send us an e-mail to let us know you have completed Part 2. We will review what you have completed using the re-entry number, username and password that you previously provided us with and work with you to finish the process. SSA will send you a new code via text message or e-mail. Again, please provide this to us ASAP as it will expire in 10 minutes.
15. We STRONGLY recommend that you submit the application within 3 to 5 days from when you start (but AFTER we have reviewed it).
16. The final step to submit your application is to check the prompt to initiate the electronic medical authorization (even if you completed a paper authorization when we met). Be sure to let us know when you have transmitted the application successfully to SSA. Your confirmation will be the electronic receipt from SSA regarding your benefit application.
17. As a reminder, please provide the following documents directly to us or to your local Social Security office: (1) wages from your employer for the last year you worked (e.g., copy of your W-2 form and/or last pay stub is fine); (2) proof of your marriage (if requested by SSA); (3) any medical evidence already in your possession regarding your disability; and (4) award letters, pay stubs, settlement agreements or other proof that you received temporary or permanent Workers’ Compensation benefits.