Steven V. Modica
- Bachelor’s Degree, SUNY Albany
- Juris Doctor, Syracuse College of Law
- Master of Public Administration, Syracuse University
- New York (1987)
- District of Columbia (1988; inactive)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (1993)
Professional and Personal Affiliations
- Injured Workers Bar Association
- Seventh Judicial District Attorney Grievance Committee (2017-date; Chairperson 2018-date)
- Foundation of the Monroe County Bar (Board of Directors 2013-2015)
- Monroe County Bar Association (Board of Trustees 2007-2010; President-Elect, President & Immediate Past President 2013-2017)
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Upstate NY Chapter (Board of Directors 2006-2013; President of the Board 2009-2011)
- National Organization of Social Security Claimant Representatives
- New York State Bar Association (member of Labor & Employment Law and Dispute Resolution Sections)
- Volunteer Legal Service Project (Board of Directors 2013-2014)
Steve was born in New York City. Before entering private practice in 1990, he worked as a Judicial Law Clerk for the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Department
(1986-1988) and as an attorney for the United States Federal Trade Commission in Washington, DC (1988-1990). He founded Modica Law Firm on November 1, 1995.
He has worked in private practice for over 30 years. He handles labor and employment (including whistleblower), civil rights, disability benefit (including Social Security Disability and New York State Retirement System Disability Pension), workers’ compensation, and personal injury cases.
He also serves in an impartial capacity (arbitrator, mediator, hearing officer, referee, special master, and guardian ad litem) in many legal matters. Click here for a list of Steve’s work as a neutral.
Steve has represented clients in state and federal court proceedings (trial and appeal), labor arbitration hearings, and proceedings before governmental agencies, including the Social Security Administration, the New York Workers’ Compensation Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the New York State Division of Human Rights, the New York State Department of Labor, the New York State Retirement System, and the New York Public Employment Relations Board.
Steve and the firm have won multiple awards for their legal and community work. Steve is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, which indicates that his work and ethics are of the highest quality as determined from peer review of judges and lawyers. He is a “Top Rated” Labor & Employment Lawyer (Fortune Magazine), a “Super” Lawyer in Workers’ Compensation and a “Best Lawyer in America” in Employment Law–Individuals. He was also recognized as the Lawyer of the Year in Rochester, New York for 2019 in Employment Law–Individuals.
Steve earned Client Champion and Client Distinction Awards from Martindale Hubbell. The latter is for outstanding communication ability, responsiveness, quality of service, and “value for the money.” Click here for more information about awards Steve has received.
Steve lives in Greece with his wife Lorrie and their dog. Their only daughter, Anne, joined the firm in 2020. Steve enjoys golfing and rooting for the New York Mets and New York Rangers. In 2015, he was the co-executive producer of a short film, Dedicated to Justice: Hon. Michael A. Telesca.